Problems with Gnome 2.2: missing Gnome menu.

Hello,
with last update of my debian I have installed Gnome 2.2.
However when it started up for the first time I received this error
message:
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

Failed to activate 'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon'

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log
in.

And I had anymore more neither the applications bar I had before on the
top of the screen with the gnome menu, nor the one on the bottom.
Then I looked in in the web, and following some suggestions I have
installed the gnome-control-center package, that was strangely missing.
Now I have no more the error message as before, but I still don't have
the application bar and so on, that is I am missing half of the
functions of the desktop.

Can anybody help me?
Bye,
              Riccardo