Re: Aladdin Software's Stuffit for Linux

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:16:36AM -0800, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
| Has any installed Stuffit on Linux?
|
| According to their instructions, all you have to do is untar their
| archive, place the files in /usr/local/bin and voila!
|
| Well, I did that but I get the error: cannot execute binary file
|
| So, it would seem I have to do something different.

chmod a+x <file>

That will make the file executable by all users.  Also make sure the
file is an ELF binary (use the 'file' command).  If it isn't then the
kernel won't be able to execute it anyways.  (actually, if it's
"a.out" it should work too, but no one should be using that format
anymore)

HTH,
-D

--
Dishonest money dwindles away,
but he who gathers money little by little makes it grow.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/