RE: Kernel Compile Issue

> > The new kernel boots fine, but eth0 no longer can get an IP.  lsmod
> > says that I have no modules loaded.  I double checked to
> ensure that I
> > didn't build this into the kernel and I did!  So I did the same
> > process a second time, same deal only this time I made sure that I
> > specified my NIC to load as a module.  No dice, it is still built
> > right into the kernel.  Now I guess I don't really care if
> it is, the
> > problem is that I can't get an IP from DHCP.  I tried:
>
> Wait, so you built the module and it's not loaded, or you
> build the driver directly into the kernel?  Did you quit
> menuconfig or xconfig with "Save settings and exit?"

Sorry I wasn't very clear here.  I wanted to load the ethernet card as a
module.  I thought that is what I had done when I built the first kernel.
But because I could not see any modules with lsmod and mod probe, I went
back to menuconfig to check if I bult the ethernet card into the kernel.  As
it turnes out, I did.  So I rebult the kernel, this time ensuring that I
selected my NIC as a module.  After compiling and installing I rebooted,
same problem.  That is, the NIC was still part of the kernel and NOT a
module.  Worse yet, it didn't grab an IP.

> I strongly reccommend modules for everything other than the
> filesystem and disk controller you boot off of, as it can
> make life easier resetting tempermental devices and tends to
> give you a smaller, faster kernel, among other ease of use
> issues.  It's not the most intuitive thing in the world at
> first, but once you get the hang of it it becomes quite simple.

I wholeheartedly agree.  I haven't had a problem like this in the past.
Just this time.

> > ifdown eth0
> > ifup eth0
> > dhclient eth0
>
> Restart networking with /etc/init.d/networking restart
> instead, if you got an IP address before and you haven't
> changed /etc/network/interfaces, it'll shut down all
> interfaces and bring them back up and try to do DHCP again.

I tried this, to no avail.  Still can't get an IP.

> > None of these things give me an IP.  What am I missing.  You can be
> > sure that I have tested everything out, i.e. good cable, laptop can
> > get an ip from same port on switch, computer is plugged in etc.
>
> In your kernel config, do you have CONFIG_FILTER=y ?

The only line that has CONFIG_FILTER in it is commented out.  I see:
# CONFIG_FILTER is not set

> You can check by looking in /boot/config-(version), for
> example on my system, /boot/config-2.4.20  (Hint:  You can
> pick up the settings you left off in menuconfig or xconfig by
> using the Load Configuration from file option)

Thanks so much for your help.

Michael