can't install debian!!!

Hi
I'll try to explain here my installation process with
all its problems and
maybe you'll help me to fix them.

I downloaded Debian 3.1 unofficial ISO-images (dated
11 of January), and
burned them on CD-R. Then I tried to boot from the
first CD. First I chose
default "cdrom" (or "linux") boot. Then I came to the
menu of three options:
"auto-detect and mount cd-rom"(default), "finish
setting debian installer" and
"execute shell". When cd-rom was auto-detected "finish
setting..." became
default. So I pressed ENTER (I don't think I needed
shell at this stage) and
the installer printed a huge list of 31 different
options. Not knowing what
to do I pressed "q" to exit and was told that the
installer can't find
"/var/cache/anna/udpkg-...-.udeb" and the computer
hang off.

So I gave up trying to boot from CD. Instead of that I
booted into DOS and
looked for
"/distr/sarge/main/disks-i386/current/install.bat".
While in Win32
I found it very quickly in DOS I faced a problem with
long file names
(disks-i386 was presented not as "disks-~1" but as
"disks_i3" and I failed
to change directory). So I copied directory sarge to
disk c and tried to
boot from there. I succeed and a pretty installer
menu.

>From this point all was going well until a came to
"Install base system"
stage. Here I was told that script
"/usr/lib/debootstrap/sarge" is missing
and it really was missing although scripts "sid" and
"woody" were there. I
tried to rename them to sarge (actually I tried both
of them) and rerun this
stage. In both cases after extracting, validating
installing the basic
packages I got and error message about "chroot ...."
command failure. So I
installed one of these scripts ignoring the errors and
returned to the
menu. The only thing I had to do was installing LILO
of creating a boot
floppy. I failed to make a floppy (it simply spoiled
my floppies after that
I was forced to format them). When I tried to install
LILO it said that LILO
can't be installed on my system probably because the
boot partition is
beyond the 1023 cylinder (but I don't think so because
Mandrake 8.2 did it
without any problem).

So here is my problem: I can't install Debian Testing
on my computer?
Can you help me? Maybe I have to install LILO manually
so how can I do it?

Sergei