Re: Next release schedule (was: Re: gnome 1.4 or gnome 2 ??)

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 12:18:16AM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 18:34, nate wrote:
> > gnome2 should be available in the next debian stable release(NOT
> > the next POINT release, i.e. 'revision') which if my past experience
> > holds will be in approx another year and a half. That is assuming there
> > isn't a gnome 3 by then :) I think the debian folks are working on
> > speeding up the release cycle, so the next major rev may come out
> > sooner.
>
> Reading the observation of "speeding up the release cycle," I wonder if
> the new release efforts should not be invoked shortly after the libc6
> logjam breaks, particularly if KDE 3.1 and Gnome 2/2.2 can be brought in
> with it.

It would be nice, but we also need debian-installer to be nearly ready
on a sensible number of supported architectures before it's possible to
freeze. Once *that* happens, things start looking a lot saner. I don't
have a good feel for its current condition, though.