Newbie question: compiling specific 3com NIC drivers

My apologies if this has been asked gazillion times, but i'm trying to compile more specific drivers for my Debian Woody, 2.2.20 kernal router. I've got a 3c900B-TPO as eth0 ( connected to ADSL modem) and a 3c905B as eth1 ( connected to 10/ 100 Mbit switched LAN). I'm getting an unusual amount of errors on the 900B card, and I was wondering if the generic 3c59x module supports my card well enough ( according to readme this new driver should work better)? It nicely loads on initialisation during boot of my router though. Hence my wish to compile the 3com drivers to see if this solves the error problem.

I've downloaded these drivers from 3com website:
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/linux/3c90x-102.tar.gz

But I'm getting this error when running the ./compile_UP

Darth-Vader:/usr/src/modules# ./compile_UP
In file included from 3c90x.h:42,
                 from 3c90x.c:1:
/usr/include/linux/malloc.h:4: warning: #warning linux/malloc.h is deprecated, use linux/slab.h instead.

Is this a major problem? I find the 3c90x.o file in the directory regardless of the error, but when I run install again this is the output:

Darth-Vader:/usr/src/modules# ./install3c90x
You are running the 2.2.20 version of kernel release 2.2.20...
Found modules directory /lib/modules/2.2.20/net
Copying the driver module into the modules directory.
Updating module dependencies...
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.20/net/3c90x.o
Update of module dependencies failed... perhaps you've updated your system?
Installation of 3c90x driver module failed.

Darth-Vader:/usr/src/modules# depmod -a
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.20/net/3c90x.o

I'm running out of ideas. Can anybody help me with this problem?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Edwin