Oh no, what a really heavy bummer

Hi,

Having installed woody I'm now wanting to compile stuff that is used a
lot and/or is CPU-intensive (C libraries, shell, gcc, gzip...)
optimised for my CPU. I've done the kernel and X already; gcc has gone
from egcs-2.91.66 to gcc-2.95.4; definitely looks slower than with
slink.

With all my woody CD images copied onto hard disk and mounted under
/scsidrive:

$ for x in `find /scsidrive -name source`; do ls -Rl $x; done | grep -v '^.r'
/scsidrive/woody1/dists/woody/contrib/source:
total 56
/scsidrive/woody1/dists/woody/contrib/source/admin:
total 0
/scsidrive/woody1/dists/woody/contrib/source/base:
total 0
/scsidrive/woody7/dists/woody/main/source/x11:
total 0
/scsidrive/woody7/dists/woody/non-US/contrib/source:
total 0
/scsidrive/woody7/dists/woody/non-US/main/source:
total 0

I thought the presence of the source code was part of the reason why
it took seven CDs!!! WAAAA!!!

Is there a separate set of Debian source CDs, or whatever? Or do I
just have to download the source for everything separately?

Having put appropriate deb-src lines in sources.list, pointing to CD
images or websites as appropriate, have I got this sequence right?

apt-get source --download-only whatever   # get source package
dpkg-source -x whatever.dsc               # unpack it
# fiddle with Makefiles etc.
dpkg-buildpackage -b -ai686 whatever.dsc  # create binary .deb
dpkg -i whatever.deb                      # install it

Pigeon