pam_limits problem

Hi

My issue was that after doing a apt-get dist-upgrade on one of my Debian
servers, logcheck started sending me constant messages as seen below:
pam_limits[19331]: setrlimit limit #6 to soft=-1, hard=-1 failed: Operation
not permitted; uid=1045 euid=1045

And in fact this error would pop up constantly in auth.log whenever any user
SSH-ed to the server.

Trawling through newsgroups and mailing list archives the only thing I found
was that the fault stems from my not configuring /etc/security/limits.conf
properly.

So after rtfming the man pages and failing miserably to solve my issue I
gave up and bodged it by commenting out:

# Line commented out because it gave errors in auth.log as below:
# session    required     pam_limits.so

from /etc/pam.d/ssh

This means I no longer get error messages in auth.log or logcheck ;-)

Ugh, any helpful pointers in the right way of fixing would be appreciated.

Best regards
Andrew Och