Re: Error while running apt-get update

Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> writes:
> That's an interesting argument: if the problem is widespread people
> shouldn't have to do their homework?  Seems like the more widespread a
> problem is, the better life on the list would be iff people did their
> homework _first_.

Actually, I didn't make an argument, just a "perhaps".

If I had made an argument, it would have gone something like this:

  Some people are befuddled by anything new or strange.
  Rob noticed an increase in questions about this problem.
  So, maybe more people are stumbling over it lately.

Most clue-full, clever Debian users will search the list (like I did)
and find the answer for themselves.  But, there are always going to be
some people who can't figure it out.  If there are enough of them, the
problem may become annoying.

In that case, several possible solutions come to mind:

  1) Insult these stupid people, hoping that they will abandon Debian
  and leave us all alone.

  2) Gently teach them how better to solve problems, knowing that
  tomorrow there will be hundreds more who have not yet learned these
  valuable lessons.

  3) Change the default to a more reasonable value so the issue
  doesn't come up so often.

You decide...  ;-)

Regards,
--