Re: Desktop productivity with Debian GNU/LINUX

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:51:46AM +0000, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:05:28PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins
> (jcollins@asgardsrealm.net) wrote:
>
> > Should it be?  I can understand a desire to ease the installation
> > process.  However, I for one feel it is tremendously benificial for
> > a user to understand how their system works.  That is of course,
> > unless they are not the one maintaining it.  In which case, I don't
> > feel they should be the one configuring it.
>
> What's your comparison base.

Is that a statement or question?  I'm not sure what you after.  My
statement was not a comparison, it was more of a premise.  In almost
every situation it is benificial to have an understanding of how things
work or fit together rather than simple memorization.

> I'm talking about the 80% of computer users

So am I.

> > Many of the people I've introduced to Debian are new to Linux in
> > general.
>
> ...but are or are not otherwise experienced computer users?

Most were not experienced users.

--
Jamin W. Collins