Re: Desktop productivity with Debian GNU/LINUX

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:40:17PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> My point was how Mandrake is focused on making everything as easy as
> possible to install and use -- so it's possible for the "average Joe"
> to go to Best Buy, or any other store that sells Mandrake, buy a box,
> take it home, install it quickly and easily, and sit down and do
> something productive, like writing, or working with Gimp, or any of a
> million other things people use computers to do so they can make a
> living -- or any of a million other things people do for hobbies.
>
> This is NOT one of Debian's strengths.

Should it be?  I can understand a desire to ease the installation
process.  However, I for one feel it is tremendously benificial for a
user to understand how their system works.  That is of course, unless
they are not the one maintaining it.  In which case, I don't feel they
should be the one configuring it.

> I wonder -- are the people that start with Debian people who are new
> to Linux, but used to Unix or sys admin/programming on other systems,
> or are they just at the "user" (or just above) level?

Many of the people I've introduced to Debian are new to Linux in
general.

> I think so many Debian-ites have not needed to install for such a long
> time that they've forgotten what it is like.  Perhaps that's why the
> installer is so bare bones.

Pretty sure you've nailed it there.

--
Jamin W. Collins