Re: Desktop productivity with Debian GNU/LINUX

Nathan E Norman <nnorman@incanus.net> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:05:28PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:40:17PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
>> > I think so many Debian-ites have not needed to install for such a long
>> > time that they've forgotten what it is like.  Perhaps that's why the
>> > installer is so bare bones.
>>
>> Pretty sure you've nailed it there.
>
> I disagree.  I think the debian installer has always been minimalist
> because in the beginning all debian users were the kind of people who
> knew their hardware inside and out, knew what was going to be asked
> and what the responses should be, and thus did not care about fancy
> interfaces and sensible prompts.

Err, I don't think any installer existed in the beginning of Debian.
And, it took at least a few years before installers for any distro began
to get fancy.

These days, I think the installer is minimalistic because it has to be
ported to so many arches (11 for woody).  It's significantly more
difficult to write a fancy installer that also works on all the arches
Debian supports.

--
My secret to happiness... is that I have a heart of a 12-year-old boy.
It's over here in a jar.  Would you like to see it?