Re: Desktop productivity with Debian GNU/LINUX

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:05:28PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:40:17PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:

[ snip ]

> > I think so many Debian-ites have not needed to install for such a long
> > time that they've forgotten what it is like.  Perhaps that's why the
> > installer is so bare bones.
>
> Pretty sure you've nailed it there.

I disagree.  I think the debian installer has always been minimalist
because in the beginning all debian users were the kind of people who
knew their hardware inside and out, knew what was going to be asked
and what the responses should be, and thus did not care about fancy
interfaces and sensible prompts.

I think knowing your hardware is the most important part ... I'm sorry
if I sound elitist but most people buying store brand stuff have no
clue what's in there (no do they care ... and I'm not sure they should
:-)  I'd rather not get off on a rant about the home computer market,
though.

At any rate, I'm glad to see that work is being done to make the
installer more robust _and_ easier to use without sacrificing any of
the powerful features I've come to expect from debian.

Finally, we should all remember that as long as someone is running
linux, that's a good thing.  If it's not the distribution you use, so
what?  I personally will not use anything but debian.  I can't stand
redhat, etc.  That doesn't mean redhat sucks for someone else!  Ditto
for Suse, Mandrake, Gentoo, whatever floats your boat.

Regards,

  If man asks for many laws it is only because he is sure that his
  neighbor needs them; privately he is an unphilosophical anarchist,
  and thinks laws in his own case superfluous.
          -- Will Durant