Re: GNOME == bloatware?

Steve Juranich wrote:

> I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice this, as I'm running a stock
> sid box.  But I've got a machine with 256Mb ram, but GNOME is bringing
> this system to a crawl.  I open up the system monitor, and I see that
> the main offenders are X (65 Mb, totally expected), Galeon (40 MB, it
> didn't used to be this bad), and gnome-terminal (15 MB for a single
> instance! 11MB after I turn off all of the fancy stuff).

This would be Gnome 2, I assume, since you're running sid?

I do not care for gnome-terminal in Gnome 2. Before I switched to KDE
3.1, I was using rxvt for all my X-terminal needs. (Now I'm using
Konsole, which is less annoying than gnome-terminal, but kind of slow
compared to rxvt -- a command like 'cat really-huge-text-file' takes
much longer in Konsole. As I recall, gnome-terminal was pretty slow
too.)

I have not carefully examined memory usage under KDE 3.1, but I do not
see much use of swap space on my 384 MB system. And I find Konqueror to
be preferable to nautilus as a file manager, and nearly the equal of
mozilla as a web browser.

> So I'm wondering if I've got some binaries that aren't optimized for my
> system somehow, or this is just the state of GNOME.  If so, I'm going
> to take a serious second look at ditching the whole 'desktop
> environment' altogether and go with something like IceWM.

I've never liked IceWM. When I want a simple X environment, I use
Fluxbox.

> I'm not trolling, I've got a serious issue here.  256 mb should be more
> than enough to run all of the junk I want to run without swapping.

Using what kernel? I'm currently on 2.4.19-ac1, which uses the rmap VM.
I find this does a good job of using memory without swapping
unnecessarily. Mainline 2.4 kernels, and anything older than that, seem
to swap when there's no real need to.

Craig