Re: GNOME == bloatware?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:09:34AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> I do not care for gnome-terminal in Gnome 2. Before I switched to KDE
> 3.1, I was using rxvt for all my X-terminal needs. (Now I'm using
> Konsole, which is less annoying than gnome-terminal, but kind of slow
> compared to rxvt -- a command like 'cat really-huge-text-file' takes
> much longer in Konsole. As I recall, gnome-terminal was pretty slow
> too.)

However, to Konsole's credit, running one console with 40,000 tabs is
a hell of a lot less resource intensive than running 40,000 xterms or
40,000 rvxts.

> I have not carefully examined memory usage under KDE 3.1, but I do not
> see much use of swap space on my 384 MB system. And I find Konqueror to
> be preferable to nautilus as a file manager, and nearly the equal of
> mozilla as a web browser.

I've got 631MB of RAM, and I don't start seeing swap getting touched
until I've been running UT for a long time while other stuff's going
on in the background, or when I've got a few users logged in.

> I've never liked IceWM. When I want a simple X environment, I use
> Fluxbox.

Afterstep's my old standby, but I've taken a liking to kwin lately.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user