Re: Is this normal with USB mice? (solved)

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 09:10:24AM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> * Jack [Mon, Jan 20 2003, 11:48:16PM]:
> > Thanks for the hints.  I have almost the same configure as yours.  Would
> > you try this for me when you by chance reboot your machine?  Unplug the
> > USB mouse,  boot OS,  startx,  plugin the USB mouse.  Does the USB mouse
> > work right away?  In my case,  "cat /dev/input/mice" trick works,  but
> > the X does not detect the change.
>
> There is a trick to feed X with apparently valid mouse device, install
> the hotplug package and look in its config.
Very good hints!  In the hotplug user configure file
/etc/default/hotplug.usb X11_USBMICE_HACK is set as false by default.
After it is Changed to true,  now everything is cool.

By doing that,  the input and mousedev modules get loaded before startx
even when the usb mouse has not been plugged in.  And X is fooled to
think the device is there although it is not there yet.

Many thanks to all the replies.

Jack