Re: Is this normal with USB mice?

you need to setup both mice in your XF86Config, mine looks like this:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
        Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
        #Option         "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
        #Option         "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        Screen          "Default Screen"