Re: CD sound

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 12:15:50PM -0500, tallison@tacocat.net wrote:
> This is one of those, "It used to work..." problems.
>
> I have OSS sound.
> I have one CD-R and one CDE-RW (scsi emulation blah-blah-blah)
> I have sound on things like XMMS, Xine.
>
> I have no sound in my cdplayer.
>
> I can start the disk spinning from wmcdplayer and wmsound shows nothing
> turned off.  But there's nothing coming through.
> I'm not sure where to even start looking.
>
> /dev/cdrom is mapped to the devfs cdrom0 (which is the correct device).
>
> aumix also shows the cd-player volume enabled.
>
> Like I said, it used to work.  I jumped from Stable to Testing is that
> last thing I can think of doing that was of any significance.

[I think I just replied to another message from you, but anyhow...]

Playing an audio CD on your computer usually does not involve the
computer at all, aside from starting and stopping the disc; the cd drive
is directly connected to the sound card, using either an analogue or
digital cable, and just spits sound down to the card.  Perhaps you
haven't cranked the CD volume up high enough?  Are you using the drive
that's actually plugged into the card?  Has the cable come loose?

-rob