Re: DSL and Sound Configuration

On Monday 20 January 2003 02:26 pm, Kris K wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I'm having problems configuring my ADSL connection w/Debian.  I have a
> Lynksys BEFW11S4 V.2 Etherfast Router that connects to the internet via
> my Efficient Network's 5360 Speedstream Modem.  I use a Lynksys 10/100
> Etherfast Card.  Here's the rundown.
>
> On a previous install of Debian, I was unable to get X to start, though
> I had a fully functional internet connection that I used to d/l Debian.
>
> Decided to reinstall - this time, got X to run, but, ironically, my
> internet is down.  Damn, are computer's fickle?  LOL.
>
> I installed the 'ppp' module into my kernel like I normally do in the
> Debian install.  No joy.  Tried removing that module.  No joy.  Added
> just 'ppp_deflate'.  Nope.  Tried 'ppp' and 'ppp_deflate' together.
> Nada.
>
> I ran 'pppoeconfig' (or is it just 'pppconfig'?  it's the 'ADSL/PPPOE'
> Configurator in the Debian Menu) - it won't run on the initial try, and
> prompts me to run 'modconf'.  After selecting and removing/installing
> one of the modules (apparently, it just wants a change, and it doesn't
> care what), 'modconf' dumps me back into 'pppoeconfig' - which tells me
> that it now detects my Ethernet Card, and then tries to auto-config
> everything.  That's when it tells me no - it can't detect the setup
> from the 'provider' - I'm assuming that's the router.  It also says
> that its possible that other processes are using the interface 'eth0' -
> my ethernet card.

AFAIK you do not setup PPPOE on Debian, the router does the PPPOE stuff
with your ISP. All you need to do is set up you nic card, & (hopefully)
use dhcp to get an address from the router.

> That's it.
>
> Next is my soundcard - a Soundblaster 128PCI - aka: ES1371.  Everytime
> I start up KDE, it brings up a dialogue box that I used to get with
> Mandrake - 'do not have permissions to device '/dev/dsp''.  I tried
> changing the permissions on it, but it didn't work.  I never did fix
> the problem - just installed SuSE on top of it.  LOL - I'm lazy.  But,
> I like Debian too much to just quit at it.  That's why I'm asking you
> guys.  Any ideas for either of these two problems?  Thanks a lot.
>
> Regaurds,
> Kris Kerwin

Add the user (you?) to the group that is shown for the device, i.e  'ls -l
/dev/dsp' will show 'audio' as the group for the ~/dsp device. Use
'adduser' to do this. You also need to restart x-window for the change to
be effective.
--
Greg Madden