Re: DSL and Sound Configuration

Kris K wrote:

> I'm having problems configuring my ADSL connection w/Debian.  I have a
> Lynksys BEFW11S4 V.2 Etherfast Router that connects to the internet via my
> Efficient Network's 5360 Speedstream Modem.  I use a Lynksys 10/100
> Etherfast Card.  Here's the rundown.

Okay, stop right there.  Take a deep breath.  Repeat after me.  The
Speedstream connects to the Internet.  The Linksys router connects to
the modem.  The computer connects to the router.  The ankle bone
connects to the knee bone.

Only the dsl modem needs to know about dsl.  All of the others use
simple IP to connect to each other.  Presumably you have already
programmed your modem with all of the information such as passwords
that you needed to connect to your ISP.

> Decided to reinstall - this time, got X to run, but, ironically, my
> internet is down.  Damn, are computer's fickle?  LOL.

Did you configure for DHCP?  Check /etc/network/interfaces and look for:
  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

Check that your network card is recognized by looking at 'ifconfig'.

  ifconfig eth0

You may need to load a module in /etc/modules.  In which case you need
to have 'tulip' in /etc/modules for a Linksys card.  Just editing the
file and rebooting works.  But I recommend that you use modconf to put
it there.  You must have missed doing that during the initial
install.  This is the same area where you selected your es1371 sound
driver.

  modconf

Page down to where it says 'tulip' submenu of tulip drivers and select
it.  Then on the next page select the tulip driver no description
available and let modconf add it to your kernel.

> I installed the 'ppp' module into my kernel like I normally do in the
> Debian install.  No joy.  Tried removing that module.  No joy.  Added just
> 'ppp_deflate'.  Nope.  Tried 'ppp' and 'ppp_deflate' together.  Nada.

Unless you are actually using ppp such as over a phone line or serial
line or some ssh+ppp vpn solution you do not need to do this.

> Next is my soundcard - a Soundblaster 128PCI - aka: ES1371.  Everytime I
> start up KDE, it brings up a dialogue box that I used to get with Mandrake
> - 'do not have permissions to device '/dev/dsp''.  I tried changing the
> permissions on it, but it didn't work.  I never did fix the problem - just
> installed SuSE on top of it.  LOL - I'm lazy.  But, I like Debian too much
> to just quit at it.  That's why I'm asking you guys.  Any ideas for either
> of these two problems?  Thanks a lot.

  adduser <your user id> audio

Then log out and log back in again.  When you log in you will be in
the audio group and will be able to access /dev/dsp.

Bob