Re: how to determine hd partitioning?

hi ya matthew

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:

> -- Matthew Weier O'Phinney <matthew@weierophinney.net> wrote

> > How can I determine the drive's partition scheme?
>
> Thanks to everyone who responded to this -- I was able to see the
> partitioning using fdisk.
>
> Only problem is... the disk is a 40GB drive, and this older machine can
> only handle drives up to 32GB. While I can see the partitioning and
> access a good portion of the disk, I cannot get a large chunk of the
> data off it that I need. I guess that'll teach me to back up to a hard
> drive (instead of removable media)...

lesson was/is... write down the fdisk partitions on a piece of paper
and tape it to the disk or chassis

-- if you cannot access the ful 40GB... read the "large-disk-howto"
	- you probably need to enable the jumpers on the disks
	so the bios can talk to the other 8GB

-- if you were able to write/read 40GB before..you should be able
   see the whole thing .. sometimes explicitly tell the bios the
   cyl/sec/head ... and also to lilo if you wanna boot it

c ya
alvin