Re: [SOLVED]: Re: sound card detection problem

This one time, at band camp, Aryan Ameri said:
> On Monday 20 January 2003 18:41, Jon wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The module you need is 'es1371' for the Vibra 128 chipset. I put this on
> > a line in /etc/modules so it gets loaded up each time. If you haven't
> > done so already, you also need to add yourself to the audio group:
> >
> >     adduser your_name audio

This is correct.

> > And also change the permissions on the audio devices:
> >
> >     chmod o+rw /dev/dsp*
> >     chmod o+rw /dev/mixer*

No, no, a thousand times no.  /dev/dsp is readable and writable by a
user and a group already, why make it accessible to the whole world?
What you have just done is bypass standard *NIX permission protections,
and allowed anyone with a connection to your box to play music through
your speakers or listen to you through your microphone.

When you have these sort of problems, it's better to learn the way to
resolve them that works within the existing framework (as adding a user
to group audio does) than totally bypassing the existing filesystem
layer of protection.  Habits learned early tend to stick, so it's better
to learn the right way early on.

> > After that you should have sound. At least, that works for me.

Unfortunately, so will everyone else )-:

> Thanks Jon, it worked wonderfully

|  Stephen Gran                  | We are using Linux daily to UP our      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | productivity - so UP yours! (Adapted    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | from Pat Paulsen by Joe Sloan)          |