RE: sound card detection problem

> hi there:
>
> I am installing woody on a system with creative vibra 128
> sound card. Previously I had Mandrake 9.0 and RedHat 7.3
> installed on this
> system and they both detected this soundcard without a
> problem. However debain is not able to do so (when ever I try
> playing a sound file, it gives me a "unable to open sound
> device" error message), and I am not sure what module shall I
> load for this card (openning modconf and going to the sound
> card section, I can see no vibra or creative module). I have
> loaded the OSS and the soundcore modules, but it seems they
> were not enough. Any ideas?

Hi,

The module you need is 'es1371' for the Vibra 128 chipset. I put this on
a line in /etc/modules so it gets loaded up each time. If you haven't
done so already, you also need to add yourself to the audio group:

    adduser your_name audio

And also change the permissions on the audio devices:

    chmod o+rw /dev/dsp*
    chmod o+rw /dev/mixer*

After that you should have sound. At least, that works for me.

Jon.