Re: IDE disk corruption - A7M266-D; which kernel patches? or other solution

On Sunday 19 January 2003 02:48 pm, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Wayne Topa wrote:
> > Al Davis(ad15@freeelectron.net) is reported to have said:
> > > How do I find out?
> If you are using the bf24 kernel then the config is installed
in /boot.
>   grep VIA /boot/config-2.4.18-bf2.4
>   CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
>   CONFIG_VIA_RHINE=m
>   CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
>   CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX=m

Thanks.  That is what I was looking for.

My real reason for asking ...

I was getting disk corruption with an older kernel (2.4.8 or
2.4.18,  Mandrake).  A colleague said it might have something
to do with a hardware bug (south bridge VIA VT82C686).  He also
said there was a fix in recent kernels.  I thought it was bad
memory.  It did have CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y .  The
workaround was to disable DMA.  As expected, it has now been
reliable but slow.

I have since installed Debian, with 2.4.20-bf2.4, and now I
wonder if it is safe to re-enable DMA.

> Lots of good documentation about the Debian way of installing
> kernels in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/*.

That module wasn't installed here.  I will look.