IDE disk corruption - A7M266-D; which kernel patches? or other solution

I'm getting disk corruption if I try to enable DMA mode for my IDE
disks.

I get mesages like:
  hdc: timeout waiting for DMA
  ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func. only: 14
  hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady, SeekComplete, DataRequest }
  hdc: drive not ready for command

The linux-kernel mailing list archives seem to indicate that there
is a patch for a kernel bug that can cause disk corruption.

Does anybody know which 2.4.x kernel patches are supposed to fix that?

Or is the problem something else?

Thanks,
Daniel
--