Re: Nautilus load problems

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 16:08, Marcin Fusinski wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Robert Rati wrote:
> > If nautilus has become really unstable, then maybe the next version will
> > fix things.  Let's hope that version comes out soon. :)
> Right. I used to be quite happy with it.
>
> > What seems to make things worse is Gnome itself.  When nautilus spawns,
> > it spawns as a process that should be restarted.  Somehow, when nautilus
> > is run, it ends up being many processes which die and get restarted.
> > Somehow, each time it is restarted more than one process is created, so
> > if you look in the session list you have an ungodly number of nautiluses
> > running.  This seems to continue exponentially.  I don't know if the
> > problem is Gnome or not, but I don't think Gnome is helping.  I think
> > Gnome is restarting the failed process and nautilus is starting another
> > process (or few) of it's own.  I'm not certain though because I haven't
> > been able to tell Gnome that nautilus processes shouldn't be respawned.
> You might be able to switch those nautilus processes with:
> gconftool-2 --type=bool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false

The default behavior in Gnome seems to be to respawn nautilus, and they
start respawning too fast to tell them not to.  Will that command change
the default behavior for the nautilus application, or just just set a
specific instance of nautilus to not respawn?

Rob

--
                                    |       L    I  NN N  U U  X X  O
r.rati@attbi.com            2002-03 |       L    I  N NN  U U   X
Aka Khyron the Backstabber          |       LLL  I  N  N  UUU  X X  O