Re: Nautilus load problems

On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 04:37, Marcin Fusinski wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Robert Rati wrote:
> > I'm running unstable with gnome2, and nautilus has recently started
> > going nuts.  When nautilus tries to load, it takes 100% of the CPU and
> > then endlessly starts popping up windows, all of which fail to load
> > properly.  It spews out error messages and takes up all the processing
> > cycles on my machine.  It used to work just fine, but I tried to bring
> > up gnome-control-center and it went haywire (which previously worked
> > just fine).  I've tried completely removing nautilus (purge) and
> > re-installing and completely destroying my gnome config, but any time I
> > try to load nautilus, this happens.  The old version of nautlius(v1)
> > does not have this problem.  Does any one have any idea what is causing
> > this problem or how to fix it?  Any help would be appreciated.
> Unfortunately I cannot help you - I wish I could... but I can verify
> that nautilus in unstable became 'really unstable' after the recent
> upgrade (try clicking a few times while browsing files...). In fact it's
> hardly usable now.
> I hope the bugs will be fixed soon (although I haven't seen your
> specific bug  at Gnome Bug Tracker website).

If nautilus has become really unstable, then maybe the next version will
fix things.  Let's hope that version comes out soon. :)

What seems to make things worse is Gnome itself.  When nautilus spawns,
it spawns as a process that should be restarted.  Somehow, when nautilus
is run, it ends up being many processes which die and get restarted.
Somehow, each time it is restarted more than one process is created, so
if you look in the session list you have an ungodly number of nautiluses
running.  This seems to continue exponentially.  I don't know if the
problem is Gnome or not, but I don't think Gnome is helping.  I think
Gnome is restarting the failed process and nautilus is starting another
process (or few) of it's own.  I'm not certain though because I haven't
been able to tell Gnome that nautilus processes shouldn't be respawned.

Rob