Re: Can't start X with Nvidia

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:06:24 +0530
"Sridhar M.A." <mas@uomphysics.net> wrote:

> Can someone help me to get X running on this machine?
I never had a problem with my TNT but I'll make a guess.
do you have the nvidia devices in the /dev/ directory??
on my system I get
$ ls /dev/nvidia*
nvidia0    nvidia2    nvidia4    nvidia6    nvidiactl
nvidia1    nvidia3    nvidia5    nvidia7

and this may be an AGP problem, when you do lsmod do you have agpgart
loaded??

the NVIDIA driver can either use the kernel agp driver, or its own agp
routines, usually it is set on auto and the driver somehow makes the
choice you might want to try and control this yourself by putting the
line

Option "NvAGP" "n"

in your device section of the XFConfig-4 file

where n is 1,2 or 3 which stands for linux driver, nvidia driver,
auto (I may be wrong about the order though).

cheers,
Alaa
--
get my PGP/GPG signature at
http://www.geocities.com/alaaov/pub_key.txt

Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we
ourselves possess.
        -- Gandalf the Grey [J.R.R. Tolkien, "Lord of the Rings"]