Can't start X with Nvidia

I just got a new motherboard and cpu: asus a7n266-vm with amd xp 1800. I
currently having about 128MiB of DDRAM. In the bios I have set the agp
ram to 32MiB. The machine is currently running sarge.

As noted from the recent discussions on compiling nvidia modules, I
followed the recommended procedure and could sucessfully compile and
install nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx modules for the kernel 2.4.20 that
I am running. I have also installed the kernel-headers-2.4.20 package.

When I modprobe NVdriver, I get the following message:

  Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver will
  taint the kernel: non-GPL license - NVIDIA
    See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about
    tainted modules
    nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVdriver Kernel Module  1.0-3123  Tue
    Aug 27 15:56:48 PDT 2002
    Module NVdriver loaded, with warnings

I hope it is ok.

As specified, the relevant sections in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 look
like this:

  Section "Module"
    #Load	"GLcore"           <--- removed
    Load	"bitmap"
    Load	"dbe"
    Load	"ddc"
    #Load	"dri"              <--- removed
    Load	"extmod"
    Load	"freetype"
    Load	"glx"              <--- included
    Load	"int10"
    Load	"record"
    Load	"speedo"
    Load	"type1"
    Load	"vbe"
  EndSection

  Section "Device"
    Identifier	"Nvidia"
    Driver		"nvidia"
    VideoRam	32768
  EndSection

But, when I run startx, it fails with the following message:

  XFree86 Version 4.2.1 (Debian 4.2.1-3 20021016191246 branden@deadbeast.net) / X Window System
  Release Date: 3 September 2002
    If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
    newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
    reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
  Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18 i686 [ELF]
  Module Loader present
           (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
  (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sat Jan 18 20:26:18 2003
  (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"
  (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
  (EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***

But, lsmod shows NVdriver as loaded.

The FAQ mentions this might be due to kernel mismatch. But, I redid
everything a couple of times and checked the links, etc. All seem to be
correct.

Can someone help me to get X running on this machine?

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.