Re: WAS: Curious...Are most of you in tech-related--NOW, I gave up and went back to Mandrake :-(

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 08:00:56AM -0700, Scott  --sidewalking-- wrote:

> Mandrake 9.0 has GNOME 2 on it, which is cool, and it still has
> development tools that I can learn on.  Aside from the bad taste
> that RPMS leave in peoples' mouths, is Mandrake really THAT bad?

Each distro has it's niche.  It's really a matter of matching your
tastes and desires with that of a distro.  For some that means that
Mandrake is a good fit, for others Slackware, for still others Debian,
etc... Is one "good" and the others "bad", not really.

> I need more of the basics to understand this stuff.  Need to spend
> more time in the CLI, and Mandrake can let me do that when I want, yet
> give me a functional GUI when I want it.

This can become a bit of a catch-22.  Some people can do it and
eventually learn the CLI options and tools.  Many others fall back on
the GUI tools because they are there, and never get around to using the
CLI tools.  But again, it's a matter of preference.  If the GUI works
for you and you like it, use it.

> I can't help but feel like a bastard, though.  I want Debian, Slack,
> or Gentoo to work for me, but need to break myself in or I won't even
> survive the install.

Don't be afraid to ask.  Everyone has to start somewhere.

--
Jamin W. Collins