which 2.4 kernel and patch(es) to avoid IDE disk corruption when DMA on?

I've been having a heck of a time with repeated IDE disk corruption
when I try to enable DMA mode, and with trying to figure out which
versions of the stable (2.4) kernel actually are stable.

What is the recommended combination of base kernel versions and
patches to avoid IDE disk corruption and system hangs with a
dual Athlon MP system (A7M266-D motherboard)?

Thanks,
Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay