Re: Follow-up: Worst night ever...

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Michael Kahle wrote:

> Now I am installing Debian Woody.  A fresh install.  I cannot find how
> during the installation to setup software RAID.  Anyone know?

If I'm remembering right, you can't do this for a Raid5 array.(is this
still true?)

I just did this on a Raid1 fresh install.

Basically you

install debian just like you normally would, on a non-raid setup.(id 0?)

compile your kernel with raid support/etc

build a raid array using another disk(probably id 1), and set the one you
just installed on(id0) as a "failed-disk".  This goes second in the raid1
definition.

copy the one disk to the raid array, setup the machine to boot off that.

once you reboot off the degraded array, and verify it works, you blow away
the one disk, and then make it part of the raid array, which fills up the
"failed-disk".  It resync's your raid1 setup, and you're all set to go.

it's documented in the RAID boot howto.

You'd have to make a partition for your boot/root/whatever and then have
the rest of your disks setup as raid 5.

so you'd just pick your first two drives(if your bios is anything like
most scsi cards i've seen, id 0 and 1 are the ones that will let you
boot), and you do a 50 meg or whatever raid1.

then with the rest of the drives minus 50 meg, you raid5, which is easier
to setup because it's not your boot disk and stuff.

shoot me off an email tomorrow if you get stuck, it's 2:15am, and I have
to be at work in 4.5 hours to supervise the air conditioning guys as they
put a new a/c unit in our server room.(complete freon leak, a/c unit in
the ceiling is fubar, and has failed twice in the last year, and i'd have
to remove all the racks/computers/etc, for them to repair it.  easier and
cheaper to just buy a new one and leave the old one up there to rust out
someday).

Mike