Re: Big difference in antialiasing

Brian Nelson wrote:

> I find that, for well-designed fonts, the jaggies are not an issue.

Fonts specifically designed for pixel-oriented displays (such as
Microsoft's Georgia and Verdana) certainly are much more readable on
screen at small sizes than traditional print fonts such as Times or
Helvetica. However, they still have curves and diagonal lines
(especially in italic form), and therefore they have jaggies. Some
people (including me) prefer to see even these fonts anti-aliased.

> Here's a well-written rant on the subject:
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000041.html

It's fairly content-free, actually. His whole argument boils down to,
"Here, look at these two samples -- doesn't the non-anti-aliased one
look better?", to which I can only reply, "No, I find the anti-aliased
one more readable." Which, relative to my eyes, basically destroys his
whole rant. Again, YMMV, but my whole point is that you should recognize
that my MMV, and accept that this is a matter of preference for each of
us, not something that has a single right answer that is valid for
everyone.

Anti-aliased text is a bit blurry. Non-anti-aliased text is jaggy.
Therefore, neither is perfect. Which type of imperfection is "better" is
a value judgment that each user can make for him/herself.

Display resolution has, of course, been increasing gradually for years.
Eventually we'll reach a point where the jaggies recede into
near-invisibility. At that point, there will be much less need for
anti-aliasing, but we're not there yet. For now, having anti-aliasing
support available is a good thing, as a stop-gap measure for those of us
who find a little blur less irritating and less damaging to readability
than jaggies on the displays we currently use. I don't really care
whether anti-aliasing is on or off by default, as long as it's easy for
each user to turn it on or off as s/he may prefer.

Craig