Non-US characters in mutt summaries

I'm having some trouble with display of non-US characters in some
areas in mutt, specifically the 'from' field in the message list
display and in the message info bar at the bottom of the viewer.  In
both places, I'll get "=?iso-8859-1?q?B=F6...".  Within the headers
and body of the message in the viewer itself, the non-US characters
are displayed properly.

To make matters even more fun, I have some older
messages from this same person in which mutt displays the non-US
characters properly in all places; his User-Agent headers are
identical before and after the change, but viewing the raw message
(in elvis) shows that the ones which work have it encoded as
"=?iso-8859-1?B?Q..." instead of "=?iso-8859-1?q?B=F6=F0...".  I
don't really know the significance of each version, but it is obvious
that the encoding scheme did change and mutt likes the old one more
than the new one.

My locale is set to en_US with LC_COLLATE=C and the locales package
is version 2.2.5-11.2.

So what do I need to do to get this working properly?

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that