Re: Easiest Nameserver

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:11:10PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
| Kirk Strauser wrote:

| > > Technically this isn't true.  A DNS server isn't required to store the
| > > zones in the same format as bind.
|
| This last comment strikes me as excessively nitpicky. To say that you'll
| have to write zone files (or, more generally, configure your zones,
| whether by writing files, using a web interface, or whatever) regardless
| of which DNS software you choose is a reasonable statement. I don't see
| any implication that these files will be in any particular format.

It all depends on how you interpret the original statement.  Some bind
opponents claim that bind's zone file format is archaic or difficult
to manage or other negative things like that.  The original statement,
"you still have to write zone files", could be read as meaning you'll
still have to deal with the "bad" format bind uses.  If it is read as
simply meaning you'll need to configure whatever software you use,
then yes that is a correct assertion.

-D

--
Pleasant words are a honeycomb,
sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/