Re: how to maintain /var on a debian system

on Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 11:06:42PM -0500, nick lidakis (nick.lidakis@verizon.net) wrote:
> I have tried googling and looking at ldp.org for this answer, but I
> can't seem to find anything relevant. How does one maintain /var?
> I'm trying to apt-get dist-upgrade my laptop and it's telling me I dont
> have enough space to hold all the debs. df shows 92% used out a 300MB
> partition. /var seems to be slowly filling up, but what can I safely
> delete from var to trim it down?

300MB for /var on a Debian system is somewhat thin, but can be dealt
with.

You'll want to run 'apt-get autoclean' periodically to remove 'stale'
package files (those for which a more recent version is on your system).
If you still don't have enough space, 'apt-get clean' will remove *all*
package files.

If you're still running tight of space:

    # cd /var; du -sx * | sort -nr | cat -n

...will show you the directories in /var in descending size.  You'll
want to comb through these to find where you're using excess space.

I try to allocate ~1GB for /var on a typical workstation.  For server
purposes, you may want to carve out various spool or webserver
directories separately.

Peace.

   Comic tragedy:  MobiliX sued by comix publisher over iX trademark
     http://mobilix.org/mobilix_asterix.html