Re: how to maintain /var on a debian system

Hi Nick

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 15:06, nick lidakis wrote:
> I'm trying to apt-get dist-upgrade my laptop and it's telling me I dont
> have enough space to hold all the debs. df shows 92% used out a 300MB
> partition. /var seems to be slowly filling up, but what can I safely
> delete from var to trim it down?

To get some idea of what's using your disk space, try something like "du
-ks /var/*" or "du --kilobytes --max-depth=1 /var/".  You might also
like to pipe the output of "du" to "sort -nr".

apt-get stores downloaded packages in /var/cache/apt/archives.  you can
clean these out using "apt-get clean".  I don't know whether apt-get
will automatically clean out its cached packages when it need the space;
perhaps your upgrade simply requires more than 300 MB.

Hope this helps

--
Michael Wardle <michael.wardle@adacel.com>
Adacel Technologies