Re: Rack mounted backend ideas

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 16:39, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 09:09, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:

> > > That, and you can run X or text mode (with all attendant benefits)
> > > native to each box at full wire speed, which is much faster than the
> > > 115Kbps (or is the console restricted to 19.2Kbps?) serial speed
> [snip]
> > My understanding is that the serial speed can be set to what the
> > hardware can support, but don't think that will be the only connection
>
> But the serial h/w can only support 115Kbps.
>
> > among the computers - they will be bound by Ethernet. The serial line is
> > only because the boot loaders only support serial as a way of connecting
> > from another device - once the kernel and networking are up, they will
> > be on the local Ethernet backbone as the method of interaction.
>
> What boot loader only supports serial console??
>
> Personally, I'm very happy using KVM...

From what I've been reading, unless I went right past it, the common
boot loaders only support local or serial console - not something over a
lan for the boot prompt et al. What I'm looking at, KVM is more
connection with the headless servers than I need - hey, I use Linux to
leverage running applications anywhere - the boot-up is the only point I
wasn't sure about in terms of what could go wrong that I haven't seen so
far.
> --
> +------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
> | Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
> | "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
> |  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
> |  the plane."                                               |
> |    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
> |                  Flight 63                                 |
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org