Re: Rack mounted backend ideas

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 01:59:15PM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
..
> The current desktop box would become a combination firewall and X
> terminal, but it all raises one key question: with the second rack
> computer being meant to be rebooted regularly as I switch between
> various o/s, how reliable is it to control the boot process/selection
> from a separate machine? I know that Lilo and Grub do have the "serial"

Not sure where your doubts stem from, but the only reason to have a
screen and keyboard attached to the machine it self is to fiddle with
the BIOS.  Linux doesn't care, log messages can be directed to the
serial port.  Grub and lilo are capable to read from the serial port to
get there instructions, heck, they're even capable during boot to let
you decide to switch to console or serial.

And ofcourse running programs on those servers with there output directed
to your X-terminal is just a matter of setting it up that way:)

> option for sending the info to another machine (I'm hoping that means
> that Minicom would handle it fine.) Any heads-up of use, given that it

yep, minicom is fine

> is one thing to point clients to the HOWTOs when setting things up, but
> I haven't regularly run a system this way - only installed and
> troubleshot them?

Here me English is lacking, atleast I can't parse the above.

Do or don't you have experience with using a headless server?

Do you have clients in the sence of costumers that you want
to use those rack mounted systems?

--
groetjes, carel