Re: Rack mounted backend ideas

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 02:15, Lee W wrote:
> > It is also more
> > "space appropriate" to do this headless than to go with a separate
> > traditional box/monitor/keyboard, so long as I'm not walking into more
> > headaches than I can guess at at present.
> >

> Hi Mark,
>
> Given that you are putting all this in a rack,  Have you considered using a
> KVM switch, such as those supplied by Belkin.  You would then only need a
> single Keyboard, Monitor & Mouse for all of your PC's, this would get around
> any potential problems you may have with serial as well as providing a
> backup means of using your machines in the event that serial input fails.

That, and you can run X or text mode (with all attendant benefits)
native to each box at full wire speed, which is much faster than the
115Kbps (or is the console restricted to 19.2Kbps?) serial speed

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |