Software that can be used with MSN

Hi all,

I have two questions regarding free software that can be used with MSN:

1.) What program can I use as an alternative to MSN messenger? I know there
was something called everybuddy (Is that what I should apt-get?).

2.) Is there a program that will download Hotmail email (I know one version
of fetchmail used to have that facility (?)). This will save me going
through Hotmail website and will prevent my lovely wife ever booting into
windoze again to use Outlook... Oh well, she is learning... :-)

I am sure we have alternatives, I just don't know which ones are the most
recommended ones...

Davor