Re: Adding SCSI Controller, SCSI Tape, and SCSI Disk to 2.2.20-idepci system

Doug MacFarlane said:

> But now I want to add a SCSI controller (Symbios), SCSI Tape-drive (HP),
> and SCSI disk, none of which were on my old desktop.  So I figure
>
> So I apt-got a 2.4.19-686 kernel image, and when I rebooted, I had to use
> modconf to enable the 3c59x driver, and when I rebooted, it runs like
> molasses . . . during boot, it takes minutes to complete the calculate
> module dependencies step.  This hadn't happened before, and I don't have
> time to figure it out yet . . .

this is odd, but does it boot eventually? does this happen everytime
it boots? after it boots can you delete /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep
and run depmod -a ..does it take the same amount of time?

> So I figure, how hard can it be to add SCSI support and SCSI Tape and Disk
> support to my 2.2.20-idepci system?

should be pretty easy. ..

> Where and how do I download the modules from?  Where do I put them?

I personally build my own kernels, but in your case I would put the names
of the modules in /etc/modules.

some module names you may need:

sym53c416 (SCSI card driver for symbios 53c416)
or perhaps you need
sym53c8xx (SCSI card driver for symbios SYM53C8XX)

and
sd_mod (SCSI disk driver)
st (SCSI tape driver)
scsi_mod (SCSI core driver, should be automatically loaded when you load
the SCSI device driver)

> and just exactly what is "The Debian Way" for doing all this?  Even
> Osamu's DebianReference didn't help with this . . .

uncertain. I suppose one way would be to build your own kernel with
kernel-package ..(what I do)

good luck

nate