Adding SCSI Controller, SCSI Tape, and SCSI Disk to 2.2.20-idepci system

Team:

Well, I'm confused . . .

After a meltdown of my primary Linux desktop, I setup my winblows machine
to dual-boot in Debian.

My original desktop had been installed by booting woody CDs and installing a vanilla kernel,
and then apt-getting 2.418-686-smp kernel images (the kitchen sink variety,
I believe).   All this ran with no sweat.  I had even learned how to compile
my own kernel, and had started paring-down all the modules, etc. in the kitchen-sink
kernel I was running.  And then it died.  SCSI controllers on the MB fried.

So, my WinBlows PC has problems booting from the woody CD, so I did a floppy
install of the 2.2.20-idepci kernel.  No sweat.  Running fine.

But now I want to add a SCSI controller (Symbios), SCSI Tape-drive (HP), and SCSI
disk, none of which were on my old desktop.  So I figure

So I apt-got a 2.4.19-686 kernel image, and when I rebooted, I had to use
modconf to enable the 3c59x driver, and when I rebooted, it runs like molasses
. . . during boot, it takes minutes to complete the calculate module dependencies
step.  This hadn't happened before, and I don't have time to figure it out
yet . . .

So I figure, how hard can it be to add SCSI support and SCSI Tape and Disk
support to my 2.2.20-idepci system?

Well, there are a lot of docs about what modules you need to load, and how
to do it (modconf, insmod, echo modulename >> /etc/modules.conf and so on),
and all of it makes sense to me EXCEPT . . .

Where and how do I download the modules from?  Where do I put them?

and just exactly what is "The Debian Way" for doing all this?  Even Osamu's
DebianReference didn't help with this . . .

TIA

madmac