Re: Adding SCSI Controller, SCSI Tape, and SCSI Disk to 2.2.20-idepci system

#include <hallo.h>
* Doug MacFarlane [Mon, Jan 13 2003, 10:40:24PM]:

> My original desktop had been installed by booting woody CDs and installing a vanilla kernel,
> and then apt-getting 2.418-686-smp kernel images (the kitchen sink variety,

Do you have an SMP (multi-processor) system?

> I believe).   All this ran with no sweat.  I had even learned how to compile
> my own kernel, and had started paring-down all the modules, etc. in the kitchen-sink
> kernel I was running.  And then it died.  SCSI controllers on the MB fried.
>
> So, my WinBlows PC has problems booting from the woody CD, so I did a floppy
> install of the 2.2.20-idepci kernel.  No sweat.  Running fine.
>
> But now I want to add a SCSI controller (Symbios), SCSI Tape-drive (HP), and SCSI
> disk, none of which were on my old desktop.  So I figure

Forget it. -idepci is the worst kernel among the installation kernels.
OTOH, it is most safe.

> So I figure, how hard can it be to add SCSI support and SCSI Tape and Disk
> support to my 2.2.20-idepci system?

Why don't you try kernel-image-2.4.20-something?

> Well, there are a lot of docs about what modules you need to load, and how
> to do it (modconf, insmod, echo modulename >> /etc/modules.conf and so on),
> and all of it makes sense to me EXCEPT . . .
>
> Where and how do I download the modules from?  Where do I put them?

idepci is a thin installation kernel and not created for daily work,
IMHO.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
> Zum Unlesbarmachen kann man auch cdrecord blank=full auf eine CD-R
> anwenden ;-)
aber doch wohl nur in /dev/mikrowelle oder? :-)
                  Andreas 'Knv' Kanev in de.comp.hardware.cd-brenner