Re: Re: Can't boot "Kernel panic: No init found" -- partially solved

After many hours of trial and error, and Googling, I finally discovered that I had somehow deleted my /lib directory. init wouldn't run, but didn't give any usefull error, so the kernel just reported that init was missing.

I restored a 6 month old backup, booted with error messages, but couldn't log in due to missing pam libs. I found a three month old backup and restored it and can now Log in!!!

Now, how can I use Apt and Dpkg to insure I have the newest/correct versions of everything? How can I force re-installation of all my packages since my 3 month old backup?
Is that the best way to do it?

I've got a log of most of the updates I've done.

Thanks again,
Rich B

Original post: