Installation

Hi!
I am downloading version 3.0 of Debian/Linux and have a question in reference to installation. Here it goes:
I want to install Debian/Linux in a separate hard drive. I  have a 20gb hard drive with windows 98se as primary hard drive. I also have an empty 6gb hard drive where I want to install linux. Can I set up the 6gb as a slave on the IDE channel 0, install linux and be able to choose the OS I want to boot into?
I have been reading all the material in the installation manual for x86 but I am not able to find concrete explanation as to how to do this. I appreciate any help you may provide in reference to this subject.
Thank you very much   :-)
Dino...