Re: do amd processors work well with debian?

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:30:05PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> hello all
>
> i have used installed debian on pentium 3 and celeron without much
> trouble.
>
> typically, i have found out that the amd processors are less expensive
> than the intel ones. so, for a new pc was toying with the idea of going
> in for an amd processor. athlon or duron?

According to one of my colleagues, AMD CPU's are indeed cheaper, but
unless you a add high-quality motherboard, fan, powersupply, ... they
can be unstable. If you do add them, he says the total system cost is
about the same as intel.
I have no real experience with AMD CPUs (we have one AMD 1600 at work,
which seems to work well, and my main server at home used to be an amd
486, but I guess those don't count anymore)

Frank