Re: Recommendation for dual head video card

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 05:54:57AM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> So if you don't start up X with the +xinerama startx option then it's just
> two displays?

Correct.  Then your window manager needs to be smart enough to either
support both screens (blackbox/openbox/fluxbox/waimea, pwm/ion, larswm), or
else fork another copy of itself to run on the other screen (WindowMaker,
Enlightenment, FVWM).

In general, I find that window managers that have been around for a while
know how to do this.

> I run IceWM, which the changelog shows Xinerama support (although very
> recent support -- starting last month).

It knows what Xinerama is, but has no concept of multiple screens, so if
you're going to use it, you'll have to launch a copy of it on the second
screen yourself.

> I also see mention of TwinView in some docs and on Google.  Is that
> Nvidia specific?  I guess I don't see where TwinView falls into the
> puzzle.

TwinView is nVidia's proprietary method for getting a GF2 card with two
VGA outputs to run in dual-head.  I have no idea if it works with two
discrete cards.

--
 Marc Wilson |     The universe does not have laws -- it has habits,
 msw@cox.net |     and habits can be broken.