emacs problems due to X

I've been experiencing this weird emacs problem regarding X. I'm hoping
that someone can help me to resolve this situation. Before I go on any
further, I'm currently using version 4.1.0-16 in the debian distribution
under KDE desktop.

Here is the normal pic:
http://rplaca.cs.qc.edu/~bpark/normal.jpg
The weird pic:
http://rplaca.cs.qc.edu/~bpark/weird.jpg

If you take a look at the weird picture, it seems like the height(of fonts, cursor, the bottom row) is double spaced. This happens right after another application is launched using X. Some exmaples are Java applets and gkrellm. Anytime I
use emacs after this, emacs is distorted. There are other things that
trigger this effect but I have not been able to find a perfect example
besides the Java applet example.
I've noticed that this problem will go away when I re-login to the system.
The only thing that I've done to tweak X windows is by adding true type
fonts and taking out xfonts-100dpi. Other than that, there's nothing that
I've done.

bp

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail