Re: lightweight window manager - any sugegstions?

eb wrote:

> * Shyamal Prasad (shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net) wrote:
> >     "Sandip" == Sandip P Deshmukh <Sandip> writes:
> >
> >     Sandip> i have heard about ratpoison and [black | flux]box. any
> >     Sandip> feedback from actual users is welcome. i am currently
> >     Sandip> using windowmaker.
> >
> > Give xfce a try, it is one that no one has mentioned yet. It is not
> > particularly small nor particularly focused like
> > fluxbox/blackbox/icewm, but somehow I settled on it instead of the
> > usual GNOME/KDE mess. xfwm, the core window manager, takes 1400K
> > resident memory. The xfce panel (optional) takes another 3900K.
> >

> I used xFCE for about a year, it is _very_ nice IMO. If you've used CDE
> then you'll have a fair idea of what xFCE's about.

Interesting.  Admittedly it is very similar to CDE, but for some reason
I like xfce but hate cde.  And it annoys me a bit since I don't know
why...

  I'm using xfce at home (blackbox at work, previously used Wmaker in
both places) and is quite happy with it.  It have at least one nice
features I haven't found in other WMs yet, the ability to restrict an
area from being used when maximizing windows.  This way I always have my
status apps etc available. It's probably doable in other WMs too, but I
first found it in xfce).  It also behaves decently in a dual head (not
xinerama) configuration.

Try at least both the above (they're both worth it) and see which one
you like best, it's really the only (right) way as it's to much human
emotions involved in comparing window managers etc.

Best regards,
	Emil